The Decatur Downtown Redevelopment Authority works with local partners, investors, and developers to ensure ongoing development in the downtown and riverfront areas.
Established in 2004, the Decatur Downtown Redevelopment Authority was formed to provide consistent support and promotion of the city’s redevelopment projects, and create easier avenues for private developers to build and remodel in the downtown and riverfront areas. The organization is governed by a board of directors and led by a full-time executive director. The authority’s current executive director, Kelly Thomas, was appointed to the position in the January of 2022. Read Kelly’s bio, here.
The authority’s main responsibilities include:
- Real estate analysis
- Real estate development
- Land acquisition
- Land banking
- Public/private negotiations
- Grant proposal writing
- Grant administration and compliance
- Budget preparation and project planning
- Project management
- Public relations and city council coordination
- Downtown planning and coordination
- Management of Decatur Main Street Program in conjunction with Main Street Alabama